Morrotober

Day Nineteen

If there was one thing Morro liked about being a ghost, it was that ectoplasm was immune to all the germs and bacteria that people with flesh had to deal with. The downside was that when everyone else in the monastery got sick, he was recruited by Pixal to help take care of them.

"This is stupid," Morro said, glaring at the pot of soup. "Even Zane got sick? How? He's a nindroid, like you!"

"Zane's body has some quirks to it," Pixal said. "I am only grateful my father didn't care about making me any more human than I needed to be."

"But if he's made of metal–"

"This topic is deeply disturbing and I will not entertain further discussion."

Morro rolled his eyes. "So what do you want me to do?"

Pixal gestured to a number of soup containers. "Distribute these to the ninja. I sealed them to preserve heat and so there would be no risk of them spilling on you. Everyone except Zane is having a 'sleepover' in Kai's room."

Morro nodded. "Except Zane, huh?"

Pixal turned away. "I have to take care of him myself," she said, sounding very carefully neutral about the idea.

Morro cracked a smile. "Have fun with that," he said, and gathered up the soup to take to the ninja.

In the room, Cole gratefully accepted the soup and passed a container each to Kai, Lloyd, and Jay. Morro frowned, realizing he had one extra. "Where's Nya?" he asked.

"Uh," said Cole. "Don't know. Kai? Jay?"

"She's working on something," Jay said, not taking his eyes off the video game he was playing.

"While sick?"

"No biggie," said Kai. "None of us are like, dying, y'know? She can work on whatever."

Morro sighed and walked away, holding the warm soup to his chest.


Nya didn't look up when he entered the garage. "Hey," she said, while sparks flew from the device she was hunched over. "Why are you here?"

"I have soup," Morro said. "You're supposed to eat it."

"I'm good," Nya said. "Tell Pixal I'm fine."

Morro frowned. "I'd love to leave you alone," he said, "but I have a job, and it's distributing soup. You have to take it."

"Ugh, fine." Nya shoved a pile of metal scraps and wire off the table, scattering it across the garage floor. "Just put it here."

Morro stepped around the mess and put the container on the newly-cleared table. Upon closer inspection, Nya's eyes were red and crusty, and the floor around her table was littered with wadded tissues. She noticed him staring and glared at him. "Anything else?" she snapped.

"You're sick," Morro said.

"Yeah, I am. Is that it?"

"Shouldn't you be resting?"

"Shouldn't you be somewhere else?"

Morro snorted. "When I got sick, Wu made me stay in bed all day. At least you have video games."

"I'm fine, Morro. Go away."

"Prove it."

Nya snapped her head up and stared at him with her mouth open. "What?" she finally said.

"Prove it," he repeated. "If you're fine, you should be able to kick me out no problem, right?"

"I don't need to prove it to you," Nya said, but she put down the tools she was holding.

Morro smirked. "I won't leave you alone until you do."

"Fine." Nya pushed herself up from the table. "Let's get this over with."

She took a step towards Morro, who stepped backwards out of her reach. Nya swore, stumbled, and fell to the ground.

Morro crouched down in front of her. "Still fine?"

"Go to hell." Nya put a hand on the table and pulled herself back up. "Fine, I'm sick. What are you going to do about it?"

Morro shrugged. "I gave you soup, so my job is done. Go get some rest or something."

"Ugh, fine." Nya stood up straight. "Thanks for that, I guess."

She took a shaky step towards the elevator and nearly fell again. Morro caught her. Nya grumbled the entire way to her room, but leaned on Morro and let him help her.

Day Eighteen | Morrotober Index | Fanfic Home | Day Twenty (coming soon!)