Morrotober

Day Eleven

"This is stupid," Morro said while Nya sewed up the doll. "Who is this even for?"

"It was going to be for you," she said, "but if you don't want it…"

"For me?"

Nya shrugged. "If you don't like it, I can give it to someone else."

"It's fine," Morro said. Embarrassment coursed through him and he turned his ghost form invisible while Nya laughed and kept sewing.

The doll was a simple sheet ghost. Nya stuffed the head with fluff and sewed on button eyes. Morro frowned at it. "That doesn't look like me," he said.

"Is it supposed to?" Nya pulled the thread tight and snipped it. "It's just a random ghost."

"I'm the only ghost you know."

"Do you want this or not?"

"I don't know," Morro said. "What would I do with it? I can't touch anything, and you're the only one who can see me."

"It's like an offering," she said.

"Like, to a god?"

She snorted. "To the dead."

Morro didn't have a grave, at least, not that they knew of. When he first appeared and Nya got used to him, she made a shrine to him, sort of, with his favorite things from life. She placed the doll next to a clay shrimp and at the foot of a handmade kite. "I should get going," she said. "Kai needs my help at the forge."

"I thought he said you could take the day off."

"He always needs my help."

"Whatever," Morro said. "I'll stay here."

Nya tilted her head. "You sure?"

"I might come over later."

"Okay, but if you sneak up behind me again, I'll kill you twice."

Morro snorted. "No promises."

Nya laughed. "You're a menace," she said. "See you later."

Later never came. Weeks afterwards, he found out she and her brother were living with Morro's old master, and he had sworn not to return until he proved destiny wrong. Resentment boiled inside of him.

When Nya went back to the shrine, he wasn't there.

Day Ten | Morrotober Index | Fanfic Home | Day Twelve