Morrotober

Day Seven

"Why is that on fire?" Nya said, walking into the room.

Morro rolled his eyes and opened a window to let the smoke out. "It's a candle. Happy birthday."

The fire spread to the bark and the stick flared up. Nya extinguished it with a burst of water and examined what remained of the cake. "Looks like shit," she said. "Was this supposed to be for me?"

"Who else's birthday is it?"

"Not mine? You're a week late." Nya picked up the questionably-edible cake and wrinkled her nose. "I'm not eating this."

Morro groaned and turned his back to her. "Come on," he grumbled while Nya opened the trash can. "Didn't your birthday suck?"

"Don't remind me." Nya dumped the cake and paused with the trash still open. "You did this 'cause my birthday went bad?"

"Sure. Maybe now you can have a laugh at me."

"Damn, you tried to do something nice for once?" Nya laughed. "That's kind of sweet, actually. Sorry you fucked up your cake."

"Your cake."

"I'm gonna be real, I wouldn't eat anything you made."

Morro huffed. "Whatever."

When Nya put her hand on his shoulder, it startled him so bad he went incorporeal and her hand fell through him. "Sorry," she said. "I appreciate the thought, seriously. It's pretty cool you wanted to try at all."

"So?"

"No, really. I never really tried, y'know? If I didn't get it right the first time, I gave up." Nya cracked a smile. "But I don't need comfort, Morro. Make the next cake for yourself."

"What?"

Nya shook her head and left the kitchen. Morro watched her go, then fished the soggy cake out of the trash. It tasted awful.

Day Six | Morrotober Index | Fanfic Home | Day Eight