Morrotober

Day Fourteen

He woke up with lingering pain in his limbs, though it had greatly lessened. He groaned and pushed himself up.

"You're up," said a voice next to him. "Good. We have a pirate crew to deal with."

Morro grimaced. "Nya?"

She nodded at him, sitting across from him at a table. "Delara's still out there," she said. "If you're up to it, we need all the help we can get."

"Give me a minute, I'm still…"

Morro ran a hand over his face and remembered what he had wished for. His breath caught. He ran a finger down his cheek and shivered at the sensation. His free hand gripped the blanket, his pulse racing. His heartbeat. He had a heart to beat.

Nya sighed. "We might not have a minute," she said, her tone clipped. "Delara has a crew now, and a ship to go with it. She's trying to free her fiance, and marry him to gain infinite power, wishes… whatever."

"I'm alive," Morro said.

Nya's voice softened. "I know, buddy. How are you feeling?"

"Hurts less." He poked his cheek. "I'm… I'm alive again. I get to grow up. I get to have a second chance."

Morro looked around. He didn't recognize the round room they were in. He spotted a staircase off to the side. The breeze carried the scent of the ocean; salt and rot.

"Where are we?" he asked.

Nya turned away. She didn't answer.

Morro narrowed his eyes. "Where's everyone else?"

"Jay's still here," she said. "Don't know how he's doing, but he's still here."

"The others aren't."

"We think they're alive," Nya said, "but Delara tricked them into making wishes, and, well…"

Morro shook his head. "So it's me, you, and Jay? That's it?"

"What do you want me to tell you?" Nya's voice shook. "That everything is fine? You rescued me, sure, but Delara doesn't need a body to be dangerous. You know that."

"I am aware, Water Ninja."

Nya sprayed water in his face. Morro's ghost instincts kicked in and he fell off the bed trying to get away from what he knew would banish him. He ended up on the floor, soaked and sputtering, his body aching.

"Did you think I wanted to be the Water Ninja?" Nya snapped. "I was doing fine as Samurai X until you showed up! Now I have some freaky ghost with my face who wants my powers, and believe me, if I could give them to her and have this whole mess be over with, I would! But I'm…"

She trailed off. Morro hugged his shaking body and tried to take deep breaths to calm down. Stupid, he told himself. He was a stupid boy who fell for Delara's tricks, and now he was having a panic attack because of a little water.

"Dammit," Nya said. "Just… I'm going to talk with Jay."

She left. Morro heard her footsteps descending the stairs. He huddled on the floor and allowed his mind to go into all the darkest places, how he should have stayed in the Cursed Realm, he should have tried harder to be the Green Ninja, he should have dragged all the realms down to Hell with him. He sobbed and curled up in a ball.

He didn't know how long it had been when he heard a shout.

Morro sat up. There were more voices downstairs, rising in intensity. He grit his teeth and picked himself off the floor. Nya was desperate enough to need his help, and Morro had no intention of abandoning her.

Day Thirteen | Morrotober Index | Fanfic Home | Day Fifteen