Morrotober

Day One

When Bansha brought the Water Ninja before him in chains, Morro savored the moment. "So you were my old master's last hope?" he said with a sneer. "All it took was a little vengestone to put you out of commission!"

The Water Ninja glared at him. "A little vengestone could stop your hot air, too!" she shot at him. "Let Lloyd go."

Morro laughed. "You're in no position to demand anything, girl!"

Her name is Nya, said the boy he possessed.

He fought Lloyd's mind back under. "So what should I do with you?" he said, walking in a slow circle around the room. "Torture you? Imprison you?"

Bansha cleared her throat. "We should kill her," she rasped.

Nya's body tensed. She said nothing.

Morro shrugged. "I wouldn't go that far."

"Why not?" Bansha stared at him, her eyes piercing. "She's a danger to us alive. Get rid of the Master of Water and the ninja have nothing and no one to stop us."

"If we have her, we have leverage against the ninja," Morro said. "I wouldn't throw that away so quickly."

"We have leverage. Have you forgotten whose body you're borrowing?"

Morro spun to face Bansha. "Watch your tone," he snarled. "I am your superior, in case you've forgotten. I answer only to the Preeminent herself. Leave. I wish to speak with her alone."

Bansha tilted her head, but even she knew better than to disobey a direct order. She left. Morro breathed out and turned to the Water Ninja.

"What do you know about Wojira?" he said in a low voice.

Nya blinked. "What?"

"Don't play dumb, Water Ninja." Morro moved right in her face, forcing her to lean back. "Wojira. The storm spirit. Wu told me stories of her."

"He never told those stories to me," Nya said, with more than a trace of bitterness. "He didn't even tell me I had these powers."

Morro grit his teeth. He may be outside the Preeminent's influence, but even speaking the name risked punishment when he returned. "Wo-ji-ra," he spat out. "A legendary storm spirit. Long ago, before Ninjago was named, she gave birth to twins of the storm and the wave. The first masters of wind and water."

Please, Wojira, help me! I'm yours, aren't I? Please, get me out of here!

"What," Nya said, "like we're related or something?"

His body seized. Morro was thrashing in the Preeminent's grip, screaming and crying for someone to save him. In desperation, he called out to Wojira. Please, he wailed, please, aren't you the one who rules over the storm? Don't you watch over your descendants, your children? Please, Wojira, save me!

When he came to, Lloyd was in control. Morro raged and scrabbled for control inside his mind, but, for the second time, Lloyd kept him down. The cuffs unlocked, and Nya pulled the chains off her wrists.

"Go," Lloyd managed to say. "Nya, run!"

Nya grabbed his hand. "Lloyd, I can't leave you with–"

But Lloyd wasn't in control anymore. Morro wrenched his hand away, staggering backwards. "Useless!" he shouted. "Run, Water Ninja! You can't run forever! Wojira can't save you–no one can!"

He had no excuse to give to Bansha when she returned to find the Water Ninja gone. "It won't happen again," Morro said. There was no judgement Bansha could give him that was worse than what the Preeminent would do if he failed.

Morrotober Index | Fanfic Home | Day Two