Bifurcation

Previous Chapter | Chapter Index | Fanfic Home | Next Chapter

Chapter Twenty-Two

The next morning, Krux was drinking tea alone in the kitchen when Nya's twin walked in, looking utterly miserable. "Good morning," Krux said. "Wu tells me your name is complicated, now."

"It's not," she muttered. "They just won't call me the right one."

"Ah." Krux put down his mug and ruffled her hair. "You'll have to tell me all about it, Kai."

She shoved his hand away, but Krux caught the faintest hint of a smile. "I'm glad you're back," Kai said. "Um… can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

Kai glanced at the door before turning back to Krux with a serious look. "Do you know any girls who want to be boys?"

"What?" Krux frowned. "Why do you ask."

"'Cause I can't ask Mom," Kai said. "And I already asked Nya, but she doesn't want to be a boy." She hesitated. "Your twin's a girl, right? Does she ever want to be a boy?"

"Oh, not at all. You could say she tried that out already and didn't enjoy it."

Kai scrunched up her face. "What does that mean?"

"It's…" Krux spent a few moments searching for words. "When the two of us were born, everyone thought we were both boys," he said. "They were right in my case, but when Aura grew older, she realized she was a woman."

"Really? How did everyone mess that up?"

Krux couldn't help but laugh. "It's a little more complicated than that."

"Why?"

"Well, Aura was a baby boy. She didn't know she was a girl until was old enough to know the difference." Krux tapped his fingers on the table. "Some people are like that. A boy will grow up and become a woman instead of a man, or a girl will become a man."

Kai's eyes widened. "That's allowed?!"

The shout brought Maya into the room. "Ling!" she said. "I didn't know you were up. What are you bothering Krux about?"

Kai turned to her mother with a huge grin. "Mom! I can grow up to be a man!"

"What?" Maya looked at Krux incredulously. Did Krux see anger in her expression? "You won't, Ling, you're going to stay my little girl, okay?"

"But–"

"Ling, can you go play with Nya for a little bit? I have to talk to Krux."

Krux mentally braced himself as Ling left the room, but he still wasn't prepared for Maya turning on him.

"What the hell have you been putting in her head?" she hissed.

"What?" Krux said. "I didn't do anything, she came to me and asked if my sister ever wanted to be a boy."

Maya glared at him. "And what did you say?"

Krux sighed. "I told her that my sister was a boy who grew up to be a woman. You were friends with Libber, Maya. You must have known Donny's situation."

Her expression changed. "I didn't know him personally," Maya said, "but yes. So your sister is transgender?"

"Yes," Krux said. "And I'm starting to think your child is, too."

It made sense. The name change was the most obvious sign, but if he looked back on their years together… plenty of Kai's behavior was befitting of a little boy. Surely it couldn't all be poor socialization.

"She isn't," Maya said. "Krux, she can't be."

"Maya, if she is–"

"No, Krux, you don't understand!" Maya's voice raised in pitch. "I knew about Donny, I was fine with Donny, and he was treated horribly! The emperor threatened him so many times, and the things he was forced to do–" Her breath caught. "I can't have that happen to my baby girl."

"The emperor is dead," said Krux.

"And his prejudice lives on," Maya snapped. "If my children are ever to enter normal society, they have to be–they're already twins, Krux, that's problem enough!"

"Maya, I hear you," Krux said. "I can't say I have answers, but it's clear to me that Ling isn't happy being Ling."

"What other options do we have?"

"I could talk to my–"

An idea popped into his head. Krux stopped mid-sentence. "Your sister?" Maya said. "I'm sorry, but I don't know if that's possible."

"Maya," Krux said. "My sister is a twin and transgender and no one cares."

"And?" Maya said. "We're not Serpentine, Krux."

"Listen, it would take some work–"

"Krux–"

"–but the Anacondrai have already accepted me," Krux said. He stood up from his seat as his excitement grew. "This solves everything! You wouldn't have to live in hiding! If I vouched for you–"

"No, Krux," Maya interrupted. "We're not doing it."

"What? Why not? Your children could have a normal childhood–"

"Normal?" She shook her head. "What part of living with Serpentine is normal?"

Krux huffed. "So it wouldn't be a normal human childhood, but they would be able to interact with other children. Isn't that what you wanted for them?"

"I don't want–" Maya sighed. "Their ways of life are different, Krux. I don't want my children growing up like that."

Krux blinked. "Like what, exactly?" he said, raising his voice.

"I mean no offense, but you know they're not like us."

"They're like us in the ways that matter." Krux stood up. "Your children would be happier."

"You don't know that," Maya said.

"Really?" Krux said. "And do you know if they'll be happy when they're forced to conform to outdated norms that, until very recently, wanted them dead?"

"I'm not–" Maya sucked in a sharp breath. "This conversation is over, Krux."

"Answer my question!"

"Don't shout at me," Maya snapped. "Ling and Nya are not your children, and you have no say in how they are raised. That's the end of it. Enjoy the rest of your morning, Krux."

She walked out of the room. Krux stared at her, anger boiling inside him.

Ray poked his head in from the other door. "I heard shouting," he said. "What was that about?"

Krux held up his hands and shouldered past him to the monastery's exit.


At the bottom of the mountain, found himself heading towards the village where Mel lived. Krux stopped himself. If he saw Mel, would it be the last time before he went to live with the Anacondrai?

Krux sighed and sat down on a large stone.

That was the crux of the issue, wasn't it? Even if Chen and Arcturus and so many others were working towards an integrated society, it would be years before humans and serpentine accepted each other. Krux knew he would not leave his sister, so there was no decision to make. He would live with Aura and Arcturus, and say a final goodbye to his human friends.

"Ah, Saunders?"

He snapped his head up. The postman waved at him. "Haven't seen you in a minute! Are you still staying with Wu?"

"No," Krux said. "Only here to visit."

"That's a shame." He eyed the stairs winding up the mountain. "Can you bring this to him, though? I'd do it myself, but…"

"Oh, sure." He would have to go up eventually, anyway. Krux stood up and took the offered letter. "I'll make sure he gets it."

The postman smiled. "Thanks, Saunders! Have a good stay, and if I don't see you again, a good rest of your life as well!"

"Same to you," Krux said awkwardly. The postman didn't seem to mind. He rode away on his cart, humming a tune to himself.

Krux began the trip back up the mountain. While he did so, he looked down at the letter.

Chen's signature stopped him in his tracks.

He stared at the envelope, his mind racing. Why would Chen send a letter to Wu after stabbing him? The best scenario would be an apology, but Krux didn't find it likely. Chen wanted something from Wu, and Krux couldn't be sure Wu would even read the letter.

Krux stepped to the side of the path and broke the seal. With a deep breath, he took out the letter and began to read it.

To the Master of Creation,

Let me start by saying that I am very sorry for the actions my allies took to harm you. I will take full responsibility for it. Believe me, we have no reason to cause you any further injury. I would rather like to mend our relationship for a better future.

Though that's only half the reason I'm writing. Your brother has informed me the Masters of Fire and Water are staying with you. As it turns out, we need the Master of Fire for a ceremony in the capital. The Master of Water is invited as well, of course, though not required to attend. I think it would do well to bring them back into regular society after they've been in hiding for so long, don't you think? I have no reason to believe those silly superstitions about twins.

I look forward to working with you towards the new world we're building.

Chen's signature adorned the end of the parchment.

Krux frowned. Chen needed the Master of Fire? Surely he knew that Ray had lost his element by now. It must be more symbolic, if anything. Not that it mattered; Wu didn't trust Chen, and Maya and Ray had no reason to.

Although…

They all knew Kai was the Master of Fire, thanks to the child's near-death experience as a baby. If the element was only needed symbolically, then there would be no problem in bringing a child who wasn't quite an Elemental Master yet. Kai was clearly unhappy at the monastery, and with Maya's insistence that her child couldn't be anything but a little girl, Krux couldn't see things getting any better, either.

He shoved the letter in his pocket and ascended the stairs.

Wu didn't have to know Chen wrote to him. Krux would bring the Master of Fire himself. In secret, obviously, since Maya and Ray would never allow either of their children to leave. Nya would have to stay behind, but maybe she could cover for her twin and give them time to get far away. The more he thought about it, the better the idea became.

By the time he reached the monastery, he was certain.

"Good morning, Krux," Wu said when he entered. "Maya said you had a little bit of an argument."

"A little bit," Krux said. "I've just been on edge. I'm sure I'll cool down by lunchtime."

Wu nodded. "I take it it's between you and her. Have you had breakfast yet?"

He had only the tea that he left abandoned after storming out. Krux accepted Wu's invitation to sit and eat with him, all the while Chen's letter lay crumpled in his pocket.


He caught Kai alone after lunchtime. The poor child looked worse than the morning, further cementing Krux's decision as the correct one. "Kai," he said, "I need to tell you a secret."

Kai frowned. "What kind of secret?"

"An exciting one," Krux said. "Or, well, an important one, at least." He lowered his voice. "You can't tell your parents."

"It's not like they'd listen," Kai muttered.

Krux ushered Kai to an unused room and knelt down to the child's level. "I know you haven't been happy here," he said. "As it goes, an opportunity has come up for you. Someone I know has requested the Master of Fire to come to the capital."

Kai's eyes widened. "And that's me? But I can't go out!"

"Keep your voice down," Krux said. "Listen, the person inviting you is fine with me and my sister, and he doesn't think bad of us for being twins. You'll be safe around him, and I'll be with you the whole time." He took a breath. "Your sister will have to stay here, though."

"So I'd leave," Kai said. "What about Mom and Dad? Won't they care if I'm gone?"

"Of course they'll care, but Kai, they don't even call you the right name." Krux smiled. "You don't have to stay their little girl, you can have the chance to be a boy who will grow into a man."

Kai said nothing for a few long moments. Krux was starting to question himself when he heard a whisper. "I can be a boy for real?"

"I promise," Krux said. "Who knows, maybe you'll meet my sister, too."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

Kai nodded and met Krux's eyes. "I'll do it. I'll go."

"Excellent," said Krux. "We leave tonight."


Kai didn't have much to pack. He shared a room with his twin, so he wouldn't be able to hide much from her, but Kai swore he trusted Nya to keep the secret. "I know she wants to leave, too," he said. "But I'll come back for her once I know it's safe."

"Kai, I promise–"

"I know," Kai said. "But just to make sure."

Krux couldn't argue with that.

They had dinner together, all six of them. Maya didn't apologize for what she had said. Krux decided not to, either. Ray and Wu were oblivious to the tension between them, and if Maya was still in a bad mood, she didn't show it. She encouraged Nya to finish her plate, but said little to acknowledge Kai.

Night came. Krux turned off the lamp and waited for midnight. He knew the lay of the monastery well enough to avoid the creaking wood panels.

He knocked on Kai and Nya's door. It creaked open.

Nya stared up at him with wide eyes. "You're really leaving?" she whispered.

"It'll be alright," Krux said. "Is Kai ready?"

She nodded and stepped aside. Kai appeared in the entry, a small bag hoisted over his shoulder. He turned and hugged Nya tight. "I'll come back and get you," he said firmly. "Then we can both see the world."

Nya sniffed and hugged him back. "Promise?"

"I promise."

"It might take a while," Krux said. "Be strong for your brother, alright, Nya?"

She let go of Kai. "I will be," she said. "Bye, Kai."

Krux murmured a quick goodbye and silently closed the door. He and Kai crept to the door of the monastery, Krux glancing over his shoulder at every faint noise. It was the building settling, right? No one else was awake.

Miraculously, they made it to the door, and then across the courtyard to the gates. It was only when they were halfway down the stairs, Krux holding Kai's hand to hurry him along, that he realized they had done it. They had gotten out.

He had saved Kai and Nya's lives once. While this situation was not as dramatic, Krux was certain: whatever the measures he had to take, he would ensure for them all a better future.

Previous Chapter | Chapter Index | Fanfic Home | Next Chapter