Bifurcation

Previous Chapter | Chapter Index | Fanfic Home | Next Chapter

Chapter Thirteen

"Since Master Chen is graciously allowing you to stay," Clouse said, "you are expected to help around the camp."

That was fine with Krux. During his chores, he took the opportunity to try and get information from the serpentine in the camp, but he had little luck; not even the turned twins would speak with him longer than they had to. His conversation with Arcturus was a fluke, it seemed. The humans were more friendly, Ryou especially, but Krux wasn't interested.

The day after his arrival, Chen and Clouse had a strategy meeting with Ryou and several of the serpentine generals, Arcturus included. Krux was not invited. He assumed it was beyond his status to inquire as to what was discussed. When the meeting ended, Arcturus went to the nearest serpentine and demanded to spar. Krux didn't see who won, but he saw the other anacondrai nursing his scrapes later.

"Krux," Clouse said, pulling his attention away. "Master Chen wishes to speak with you."

Chen tapped his fingers on the table, barely looking at Krux. "I understand you're not here to fight," he said, "and I'll respect that–but, ah, I have a task for you."

"The favor?"

"Oh, no, this is much smaller. I need you to bring supplies to my wife."

Right; Master Chen had married the Master of Amber. Krux nodded. "Where does she live?"


Chen's wife, Lark lived some distance away from the camp, on the outskirts of a fairly large town. Krux was worried he would be recognized, but he reached the building without running into anyone else. He knocked on the door and waited, eager to take the pack off his shoulders.

The door opened a crack and a young child peered out. Krux stared blankly until they spoke. "Who are you?" they said quietly.

Krux finally put two and two together. "My name is Krux," he said. "Your father sent me with supplies for your mother. You are Chen's…" Son? Daughter? Krux couldn't tell. "…child, correct?"

They nodded. "Okay," they said. "Mommy's sleeping, so be quiet."

The child backed up and gave Krux room to enter.

He had little instruction as to what to do with the supplies. Krux took off the pack and distributed the contents across the table. The child–they couldn't have been much older than Kai and Nya–took the food and carefully climbed on a stool to put it in cabinets.

"What's your name?" Krux asked after a long silence.

They turned to him, their long orange hair falling in front of their eyes. "Skylor," they said.

"Skylor." The name gave him no insight into the child's gender. Then again, it didn't matter much, did it? Mel had told him off once for inquiring about one of the regulars.

His heart hurt, thinking of Mel. Krux pushed those thoughts aside. "How is your mother?" he asked.

Skylor bit their lip. "She's sick."

"Ah." That explained the medicine, carefully wrapped in paper. Krux frowned. "Are you caring for her by yourself?"

"I'm doing a good job," they said. "Mommy said so."

"That's good." So Lark wasn't so sick as to be unable to take care of herself and her child, because Skylor was so young, Krux couldn't imagine they were cooking all their own meals.

Skylor climbed off the stool. "When is Daddy coming home?" they asked.

"Uh…" Krux mentally flailed for words while Skylor looked up at him expectantly. "It might be a while," he said. "Keep doing a good job for him and your mother both, alright?"

They nodded. "I'll give Mommy her medicine," they said. "It'll make her better, right?"

"Of course," Krux said. "And you'll tell her I was here, right?"

"When she wakes up."

"Right," Krux said. "Well… I've got to be going. Good day, Skylor."

After he left, he wondered if he shouldn't have insisted on seeing Lark to make sure she was alright… but Skylor, though young, seemed capable enough. They would tell him if something was wrong.

Back at the camp, Chen wasn't alarmed by Krux's report, so he figured there was nothing to worry about.


Chen and Clouse left in the morning and were gone for the majority of the day, leaving the camp to fend for itself.

Meanwhile, Arcturus was in a bad mood.

The whole camp could tell. Arcturus, as one of the anacondrai generals, was an important ally to Chen, and a valuable spy among the serpentine army. And he was in a horrible mood and taking it out on the people around him. While Krux still wanted to tell Arcturus he was a twin, he was smart enough to know today wouldn't be a good time. He did his tasks around the camp and stayed out of Arcturus' way.

Later that evening, while Krux was helping with dinner, he heard yelling.

He recognized one voice as Arcturus and the other as Ryou–from what he knew of the former Master of Earth, Krux wasn't surprised. Krux tried to focus on the food, but when it became clear that no one else was paying attention, he gave up and went t see what the commotion was.

"What makes you think I'm going to let you insult my family?" Ryou shouted. "You have no right!"

"Yet you insist on insulting mine?" Arcturus hissed. "You say by taking in my daughter, I brought upon myself all the tragedy in the world, and I am supposed to nod my head and agree?"

"So my beliefs are nonsense–"

"Your superstitions barely qualify as beliefs–"

"–but if I dare mention the Great Devourer–"

Arcturus raised his voice. "You know nothing of which you speak!"

The anacondrai drew his sword. The gathered crowd murmured. Krux grit his teeth and strode forward.

"Enough," he said, putting himself between the two. "We are supposed to be allies–unless you've forgotten we're all here for the same goal!"

Ryou glared at him. "This is not your fight, Krux."

"This fight is all of ours," Krux snapped back. "I daresay we'll have trouble stopping a war if we can't play nice in the meantime."

"Do you think this is a game?"

"Do you?"

"You are right, Master of Time," Arcturus said, and he sheathed his sword. "This is no time for infighting. Ryou, I apologize. I should know better, as a father myself."

His tone was short, and Krux could hear the anger brewing in what was left unsaid. Ryou just shook his head. "I accept your apology," he said. "And to you, Krux?"

Krux turned just as Ryou slapped him.

He staggered back, his cheek aching. Ryou spoke in a harsh voice. "Learn to mind your business," he said.

Once Ryou was gone, the crowd dispersed, both humans and serpentine losing interest. Krux rubbed his face and sighed.

"That was not smart," Arcturus said from behind him.

Krux glanced back. "And drawing your sword was?" he said. "I don't like Ryou, but I know better than that."

Arcturus laughed quietly. "It's quite damning to Ryou's likeability, if you would side with a serpentine over him."

Krux found his opening. "I may be a human," he said, "but you are right to call his beliefs nonsense. I can only stand it for so long, listening to him tell me how my brother and I are responsible for the world's evils."

"Ah," Arcturus said. "You're a twin, then."

"Yes."

Arcturus stared at him for a long moment through narrowed eyes. "We should not have this conversation here," he finally said. "Return to your duties. I will meet you after the meal."


Krux had to scrub pots for what felt like hours. He took on the task willingly, thinking it would be over with quickly, only for him to be the last of the volunteers to finish. When he was finally done, the sun had set, and he didn't notice Arcturus waiting for him on the edge of the trees until the anacondrai spoke.

"Your twin isn't here," Arcturus said.

Caught by surprise, Krux had to wait for his heart to stop racing before he responded. "Master Chen said he would help me find him," he said.

"You've never met?"

"No. I didn't know he existed until a decade ago."

Arcturus nodded. "Humans, it seems, have a much stronger connection to their blood family than serpentine," he said. "I was part of a large family, and never met most of my clutchmates–or if I did, I did not recognize them." He looked away. "Aura, too, wanted to find her family."

"Did she have any luck?" Krux asked.

"It was not advisable," Arcturus said. "Her parents tried to have her killed as an infant, and her twin had grown up not knowing she exists. It was unlikely they would react kindly to her return."

"Even if…" Krux couldn't finish the thought. After growing up with his father, after seeing how Libber treated her infant son, he knew people could be just as cruel to their own blood as anyone else.

Arcturus turned back to him. "What do you know about your twin?"

Krux hesitated, only for a moment.

"He inherited half the element of time," he said, "and it's… likely that he was given to the serpentine. Other than that, all I have his the name our mother gave him. Acronix."

"Ah," said Arcturus. "I was afraid of that."

"What?"

Arcturus didn't respond. Krux took a step towards him. "Do you know that name?" he said.

"I…" Arcturus shook his head. "I have heard it, yes."

A chill gripped Krux's heart. "Where have you heard it?" he demanded. "I've been searching for so long–you have to tell me. I need to know!"

Arcturus raised a hand. "Before I tell you," he said, "I need you to promise something."

He was so close– "Anything."

Silence fell between them. Arcturus said nothing for a few, agonizing moments. Finally, he spoke.

"Swear to me," he said, "that you will defend your twin with your life. No matter what you discover, no matter what Chen asks of you. Swear that to me, and I will tell you all you need to know."

"That's it?" Krux said. "I swear it, Arcturus. I've sworn it long ago."

"Good." Arcturus took a slow, hissing breath. "Because when Aura was brought to us, so many years ago, the man who carried her called her Acronix."

The world halted.

Krux stared at Arcturus, his mind racing with hundreds of thoughts and none of them coherent. When he finally found words, they came out with a tremor.

"They told me my twin was a boy," he said.

"They told us the same," Arcturus said, "but when Aura came of age, she told us she was a woman."

Donny, Krux thought. Donny was a man who could bear children; it wasn't a stretch to imagine the same could happen the other way around. His hands shook. "And–and she has half the powers of time?"

Arcturus nodded. "We knew from the beginning she was an elemental master, though we were not told the nature of her powers. I thought it might be related to the element of speed." He paused. "For a long time, I thought someone would return for her, whether that was her blood family, the emperor, or someone else entirely. That was why I insisted she remain human. I thought it would help her eventual reintroduction to human society."

Krux's legs couldn't hold him. He lowered himself to his knees, staring at the ground. "My twin," he said. "My… my sister."

He finally found her.

"Krux," Arcturus said.

He looked up.

Arcturus slithered up to him. "What I am about to tell you is confidential," he said, and he lowered his voice. "Chen has sent Aura to the human capital on a mission. She is to blend in with the other humans and carry out Chen's orders in secret. Doing so puts her in grave danger." He put a scaled hand on Krux's shoulder. "Do you swear to me you will protect her?"

"Of course," Krux said, his mouth dry. "I couldn't… I've spent so long searching. I could never let anything happen to her."

"Then I will have Chen send you to the capital as well," Arcturus said. "Do not tell him what I've told you. Do not reveal she is your twin." His voice dropped to a whisper. "Please, Krux, keep her safe."


Chen and Clouse were back the next morning. Another meeting was called with the serpentine generals and the high-ranking humans, and once again, Krux was not invited to attend. With no chores to do, he sat alone on a bench with a piece of paper and thought about writing a letter to Mel.

What would he say? It was mere days since Krux last saw him, but he knew they would be apart for a long, long time. He longed to tell him how close he was to finding his twin–but there was always the risk the letter would be intercepted. Perhaps it was safer not to write anything.

Arcturus exited Chen's hut and walked right past Krux without looking at him. Krux raised a hand to try and catch his attention, but decided against it before he said a word.

The day ended.

Krux wondered if he could run the camp by himself, what with how they worked him. Was he imagining it, or did he have more chores than everyone else? He held in his complaints and did his duties. Arcturus, still, did not speak to him.

On the third day since he spoke to Arcturus, Krux was considering going to the capital to track down his twin by himself. Yes, she was undercover, but all Krux had to do was look for a woman who resembled him–but he would never forgive himself if his actions put her in danger. He had to wait for instruction.

The next day–

"Krux!"

He snapped his head up so fast his neck twinged in pain. "Yes?" he said, getting to his feet. "What is it?"

The serpentine beckoned him towards Chen's hut. "You're needed," he said. "Come here."

Krux tried not to look too excited. "Of course," he said, and followed him in.

The hut was crowded, and all the seats were taken. Krux entered while Chen was speaking; he stood just inside the door and listened.
"I understand you have many concerns," Chen said, "but we all know the fault of the war lies with the human empire. There will never be peace with the current emperor–besides, no one even likes that guy!"

"What you are suggesting is the highest form of treason," Ryou said calmly. "Certainly, no one likes the emperor, but you do not have to like someone to be loyal to them."

"You are aware of my concerns," said Arcturus, "but I will repeat it here. If we must go ahead with this plan, I need someone to extract my daughter from the capital."

"Yes, yes," Chen said, waving a hand in the air dismissively. "Of course, the safety of our allies is of the utmost importance, but we cannot spare anyone right now! Aura is highly capable, surely she can manage it on her own."

Arcturus' claws dug into the table. "Surely you can spare one person," he said. "Your Master of Time, for example."

Clouse cleared his throat. "Krux has not yet proved his loyalty," he said. "Sending him could put your daughter in more danger than sending no one."

Ryou laughed. "He's right there, you know."

Everyone, human and serpentine, turned to him. Krux swallowed hard.

"Yes," Arcturus said. "I called for him."

"Really?" said Chen. "Why?"

"Krux has worked very hard to keep the camp running, and unlike the others, he does not seem to have a bias against humans or serpentine." He narrowed his eyes. "I would trust no one else to protect my daughter, who is both."

Clouse glanced at Chen. "I would still not recommend it," he said. "You may trust him, but that doesn't mean we do. Krux, how long have you been here?"

Caught by surprise, it took Krux a moment to answer. "About a week," he said. "If I may–"

"You may not," Clouse said. "Arcturus, you are worried about your daughter. Chen has similar concerns for his wife and son. But Krux is better suited here, and Aura has proved herself many times over to be strong and skilled. She can make it back without help."

Krux grit his teeth. "If I may," he repeated, "I question the decision to leave a single person stranded in what is essentially enemy territory for her."

"You haven't even met Aura," Clouse snapped. "What makes you think–"

Chen grabbed Clouse's arm, cutting him off mid-sentence. "Look at his face!" he whispered, still loud enough for the whole room to hear."

Once again, all eyes were on him. Krux did his best not to flinch.

Clouse narrowed his eyes and whispered something to Chen, keeping his own voice inaudible. Chen just shrugged. "I've made my decision," he said. "Krux, you are approved to go to the capital and retrieve Aura. Arcturus, you're in charge of requisitioning the necessary supplies for him. Not too much, though! We have a war to stop, don't we?"

Krux nodded. "Thank you, Master Chen," he said. "When do I leave?"

"Tonight! Or after a good night's sleep. Whichever you please." Chen beamed at him. "I'll give you a message to assure Aura you're on the same side–but something tells me she'll figure it out. Ha!"

Well, Krux thought, Chen definitely knew he was a twin. "Tonight, then," he said. "I'll be ready."

"Excellent!" Chen waved him away. "Now shoo! I have much to discuss with Arcturus. And the rest of the generals, I suppose. Go!"

Krux nodded and ducked out of the hut.


"Chen knows you are Aura's twin," Arcturus told him while they packed supplies. "He did not say as much, but it is obvious."

Krux ran a hand over his chin. "We… must look alike, do we?"

"Oh, absolutely. I saw her in you from the beginning." Arcturus let out a hiss. "It's embarrassing how long it took me to realize why the resemblance was there. I should have known Chen would see it, too–he acts a fool, but he is a smart man."

"Is this such a bad thing?" Krux asked. "Chen offered to help me. I don't think he means us any harm, though it's hard to tell for certain."

"I would like to be certain," Arcturus said, "and as of now, I do not know. I know Aura is capable, more than anyone else–but I fear for her in the capital, and I spoke against Chen sending her alone."

He looked away. Krux frowned. "What was she sent to do?" he asked. "You said you didn't know, but…"

"Bring her back," Arcturus said. "That's all that matters."

He pressed a sealed letter into Krux's hands. "This is for her," he said. "Do not open it. She will know."

"I won't."

"You have supplies for a five day journey. To get to the capital will take the better part of one. Aura may not be able to leave right away, so if it's not enough…"

"It's the capital. I can find more food there."

Arcturus shook his head. "It may not be that simple."

"You're worried," Krux said. "I won't lie and say that I'm not, too, but I made a promise. To you, and to myself." He smiled. "No harm will befall my twin, I swear it."

"Only make oaths you can keep."

Krux flinched back at the harsh tone. Arcturus closed his eyes tightly. "I apologize," he said. "I am very worried, it's true. I will feel much better when she is home."

He tucked the letter inside his cloak. "Is that everything?"

They went over the supplies again, confirming it was all there. Krux ran his hand over the sword given to him. "Then I should be off," he said. "If anything goes wrong…"

He hesitated. Arcturus stayed silent while Krux struggled to word his request; Arcturus may be a serpentine, but he could send a letter to Mel, couldn't he?

"Never mind," he said. "I'll tell him myself."

"Understood," said Arcturus. "Farewell, Master of Time. Safe travels."

There was nothing else to say. Krux went through the cart one last time and picked up the handles, mentally running through his new persona. With one last nod to Arcturus, he faced the dark woods and pushed the cart forward, leaving the camp behind.

Previous Chapter | Chapter Index | Fanfic Home | Next Chapter